Last week Chad and I jetted off to sunny Ocho Rios, Jamaica to spend our babymoon at Sandals Royal Plantation. Normally I would save the baby stuff for Brooklyn Living, but since there were SOOO many honeymooners there while we were, I figured the info would still be pertinent for those of you planning honeymoons. We managed to get a great deal because it was their off season (most people apparently go in the winter), but it was actually great because the rates were super cheap and the resort wasn’t crowded at all. The Royal Plantation is Sandals only all-butler resort, with 74 ocean-front rooms…compare that to the Sandals Ochi next door with over 500 rooms! Oh, and no kids allowed!
But lets get back to those butlers, shall we? Every room is assigned 2 who will be with you for your entire stay. You’ll be given a cell phone with a direct line to them for dinner reservations, spa appointments, tours, or anything you can really think of. Beyond that, they really get to know you and make your stay special with the little details…every afternoon when we returned from the beach we’d have a special treat in our room. It could have been a drawn bath with tropical flowers, or something as simple as a towel puppy, but its these little things that really make you smile. Chad even had a rose delivered to me on the beach while he was playing golf!
While it took me a while to get used to the idea of “relaxing” (its been so long since I’ve done a beachy vacation), once I was in the zone, I didn’t want to leave. Everything is included from transportation from the airport, to alcohol, food and golf, and you’re able to head over to the Ochi resort next door for even more options, so its like staying at 2 resorts for the price of one. It was so nice to not have to think about anything once we got there. Hopefully we’ll be back soon!
Some recommendations for you if you’re thinking about staying at Sandals Royal Plantation:
- Be aware that the resort is actually one and half hours from the Montego Bay airport.
- Don’t bother with the Club Mobay when you arrive at the airport because you’ll be able to access the Sandals arrivals lounge anyway. Upon departure, if its off season, I wouldn’t bother with it either. The airport was pretty dead when we were leaving so being able to bypass some non-existent security lines didn’t warrant the additional $30 a person.
- If you want to take advantage of scuba diving but have never done it before, you’ll be required to take a class onsite.
- Take advantage of the opportunity to have a private candlelit dinner on the property….it really is lovely to be out on the water just the 2 of you!
- Check out the Red Lane Spa! I had the Mother 2 Be massage and an exfoliating treatment and it was heavenly! You can also do the massages out on the piers. All spa treatments are an additional cost but because it was off season, we had a spa credit I was able to take advantage of.
- Do their tea service at least once…it’ll make you feel so hoity toity. Just watch out for the peacocks…they like the cucumber sandwiches!
- Eat at Le Papillon as often as possible! It was our favorite restaurant on the property, only open for dinner and with a reservation.
- If you get Keone and Marvin as your butlers, tell them I said hi! You’re in good hands with them.
This shot was our private dinner getting set up on the East beach pier!
[images by Vané & Chad Broussard for Brooklyn Bride]
While we had a great time at Sandals, this is NOT a sponsored post. Just figured you’d like to hear about a great spot to vacation!
When Chad and I got married, we took our honeymoon over in Europe, completely avoiding all beaches and instead choosing to tour cities. But after seeing the resorts available from Secrets Resorts & Spas, I’m starting to think we may have missed out! The Secrets Maroma Riviera Cancun is insanely stunning, with tons of activities for both the ladies AND the gentlemen. Situated on the Yucatan Peninsula with a beach recognized as one of the world’s best, you can lay out and relax or take part in activities like tennis, beach volleyball, yoga, sailing, and take advantage of complimentary green fees at the nearby golf course (just to name a few!). If taking it easy is more your style, you can indulge in some spa treatments at their 13,000 sqft spa, or enjoy a meal in one of their 7 restaurants or 6 bar lounges. An important thing I always pay attention to is connectivity….as much as I want to relax and enjoy myself, I still like staying somewhat connected, so the free WiFi is a huge plus. All the honeymoon suites have full ocean views along with 75% of the other suites, and the ones that don’t have direct swim access to one of their 13 pools. Meaning you can wake up, get out of bed, and walk straight into a pool from your room (in a swimsuit of course)! How great is that?? Top that off with 24 hour room service, unlimited drinks, pool & beach wait service and more, you’ve got yourself a pretty sweet honeymoon setup. Check out this particular Secrets Resort along with all the other in the AM Resorts portfolio for even more honeymoon options!
[images from Secrets Resorts & Spas]
This post was sponsored by Secrets Resorts & Spas. Thanks for supporting our advertisers!
Are you having trouble deciding where to go for your honeymoon? It’s a tough yet exciting choice! When I was planning my honeymoon, we chose Barcelona because we both were interested in seeing the beautiful architecture and being some place warm. We got what we asked for! This is a list of places that I’ve either been to or am dying to get to. What makes it places for a modern couple? They’re not necessarily traditional places to go for a honeymoon
Tokyo, Japan: I’m DYING to get to Tokyo because I hear it’s so fascinating. This would be a place for the couple who loves big cities and likes trying new things: new cuisine+new language+new culture=new adventures! Photo
Santorini, Greece: I’ve also never been to Greece, but I can’t imagine a more peaceful setting. I think it’d be lovely to park it for a week or two and just soak in the sun and relax. Photo
Iceland: Iceland is CRAZY. Crazy good. My husband and I went here for the first time last year and I’ve never experienced anything remotely like it. It’s a great place for the outdoorsy type, especially if you like camping (I do not). You are allowed to camp anywhere in Iceland. The scenery is spectacular. It’s the closest thing to feeling like you’re on another planet. Photo
Road trip, USA: I think it’d be great fun to travel from coast to coast, stopping at quirky pitstops along the way. There’s nothing like seeing the beauty of our country. Photo
Salt Mines in the Sacred Valley of Peru: Machu Picchu is right near by and there are a lot of great trekking things to do here. Definitely for the more outdoorsy couple. Photo
by Brittany Watson Jepsen of The House That Lars Built
No honeymoon would be complete without a nice new set of luggage, right? These pieces will keep you traveling in style for sure!
1. Samsonite Cosmolite | 2. Mandarina Duck | 3. Delsey Karat | 4. Victorinox Seefeld | 5. Steamline luggage | 6. Lipault | 7. Rimowa Salsa | 8. Hideo Wakamatsu | 9. Herschel Supply Co. via Moose Limited | 10. JCrew Globetrotter